Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Planet Earth. Is Anyone Paying Attention?

I was watching the CTV National News at 11 the other night when somethingcaught my attention.   One of the major stories was how Harper is promotingbusiness alliances with foreign countries to develop our North and the Arctic.  Chinaapparently has a keen interest.

That story was immediately followed by a bunchof headline mentions that were evidently not worth covering in any greatdepth.  Buried within those was a scientificreport on the alarming and accelerated rate at which the ice caps are melting.That was it.  I less than 4 secondmention.  So once again, greed, and power onceagain trumps life. The thing is that I KNOW that this is a fact of life so Iwas amazed that I was amazed.

I rememberAl Gore's book and video about all of this and it’s potential for somethingthat is really not good for our way of life as we know it. It created aninitial flurry and then kind of went away. Too bad really.  Among otherthings he talked about was what happened when fresh water meets ocean saltwater and how at this rate a natural disaster is inevitable.  No-one reallydisagreed. Yet this fact doesn’t seem to be registering in the media.


Over thelast several years more attention has been given to the planet throughorganizations such as WWF whose Advocacy With Elegance takes a non-partisanapproach to the problem and encourages business to do the right thing. Theyhave made progress. Then there is Greenpeace which is good and active but too aggressivefor some people.  I have to give themcredit for getting the job done.  Andthere are countless people who are taking small measures in their own way toclean up the environment and reduce greenhouse emission.  But is it enough? I am not someone forconspiracy theories but the more I dig the more I realize how much we aren’tbeing told, Very simply, it’s bad for business. Yet there are those businesses that have made huge inroads in creatingproduct that contributes to our planets immediate need. And that I believe isthanks to the people who are making some noise and consciously choosing to notdo business with those who are not on board. I would encourage everyone to keepmaking those choices whether its computer companies are those who sell catfood. Hold them accountable and certainly demand to know more. 

When I was speaking to a friend about this the comment wasthat it is frustrating because one voice get’s us no-where.  Well if there are enough of those speakingand following through the noise becomes fairly loud. 

 My ex is someone who I put into the category of lovingbeauty with one foot stuck in the past. His stock answer (as is the case with many), is that nature has alwaysrighted itself.  Well that’s true and itwill likely do it again.  We may just notlike how.

 Our planet is a living thing but even it has itslimits.  WE have assaulted it over andover,   Why not give it and ourselves alittle help because it cannot sustain us at the rate things are going.



Well, this might be a rant but I just knowthat I had to add my voice to the mix. I hope you do the same in your own way.  


No comments: